ABC tag needs several people to play. It’s a great way to work listening skills into a physical activity.
Here is how you play:
- Determine who is “it”. - you can use several different ways. The youngest in the group, the oldest in the group, the person with the next birthday, the person who just had a birthday, the person born closest to the New Year - just a few ideas.
- “It” stands in one place and counts to 5 giving time for everyone to start running around.
- “It” starts to run and tags the other players.
- When a player is tagged they must freeze.
- To be unfrozen they must be tagged by another player.
- When they are tagged by the other player the unfrozen player must shout out a letter of the alphabet (starting with A).
- The next unfrozen player will shout out the next letter.
- Play continues until either all players are frozen or all the letters of the alphabet have been shouted.
- The player that shouts Z is the next “it”.
Are you playing with older kids?
The first player yells out a letter - any letter. The rest of the game unfrozen players must yell out a word that starts with that letter. Play continues until someone cannot think of a word starting with the letter and yells “STUMPED” or a count of 5. They become “it.”